Quite a few Nashua Area Radio Society members have been working on a display to get young people and potential new Hams interested in Amateur Radio. Our display will be part of the New England Amateur Radio Convention in Boxboro, MA on September 8th and 9th. We are also planning a similar display for NEAR-Fest at Deerfield Fairgrounds, NH later in the fall. You can see more about our planned display and the associated hands-on activities via the following link.
I want to share some information about an Amateur Radio event that we will be doing at the Boxboro, MA Ham Radio Convention in September. Our display and hands-on activities provide an introduction to Amateur Radio for young people and include information and a chance to try Amateur Radio activities such as:
- Satellite Communications including a Computer Controlled Satellite GOTA Station
- Remotely Operating an HF Station Over The Internet – another GOTA activity
- Fox Hunting
- High-Altitude Balloons which carry Amateur Radio
- Emergency Communications and Field Day including a GoKit GOTA
- Learning Morse Code
- Kits, Kit Building, and Computers
- How To Get Licensed
- And much more
You can read more about our plans for the event via the link above.
We’ve been working with Steve Elliot, K1EL to develop an inexpensive kit building project to include as part of our displays. We will be including a new kit building activity in as part of our display. Builders can purchase the Morse Trainer Kit shown above for $20 and build it at the show. We will provide soldering equipment and kit building mentors to help builders complete their kit. The package includes batteries and a printed manual. We will have these kits available for walk-up purchase at the show on both Saturday and Sunday.
I am also planning to provide forum presentation on the following topics on Saturday at Boxboro:
- Creating Successful Youth Outreach Projects
- Portable Satellite Station Design, Operation, and Planning for an upcoming ISS Crew Contact
- STEM Learning for Young People via High Altitude Balloons Carrying Amateur Radio
You can view the Boxboro Forum schedule here.
I hope to see folks who follow our Blog at the New England at the Boxboro Convention. If you can make it, stop by our display or visit us in the forums and say “hello”.